Dynamic Capabilities at Samsung Electronics: Analysis of its Growth Strategy in Semiconductors
- Dynamic Capabilities at Samsung Electronics: Analysis of its Growth Strategy in Semiconductors
- Lee, Seung-Joo
- Dynamic capabilities; Samsung; growth strategy; semiconductors
- Issue Date
- Series/Report no.
- KDI Working Paper Series;WP11-07
- Samsung Electronics has emerged as the world’s largest memory chip maker with a
leading position in the DRAM and NAND flash markets. This paper explores and analyzes
the key success factors of Samsung in the semiconductor industry using the dynamic
capabilities framework. Based on literature review and case studies, the following five
dimensions of dynamic capabilities were identified to explain Samsung’s successful growth
in semiconductors: 1) opportunity recognition and entrepreneurial insight by top management,
2) rapid catch-up through technology acquisition and learning, 3) leapfrogging competitors
through product and process innovation 4) product line diversification leveraging existing
capabilities and resources, 5) resource release through restructuring during the financial crisis.
This study provides insights on the growth strategy of a latecomer firm striving for global
leadership and illustrates the importance of dynamic capabilities in creating competitive
advantage and sustaining growth.
- Files in This Item:
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.